Sunday, May 29, 2011

Surprising Blood Test Results


OK, so I’ve mentioned many times on this blog so far that we are trying to eat more healthy. I’m sure that if you have read any other blog posts then you will have read that statement. :) 

Well, there is a reason that started it all.  At the end of February I had a routine physical and during this exam I was told I had high cholesterol, namely high triglycerides.  Well, all the normal recommendations of quit smoking and drinking, lose weight, start exercising, and eat healthy didn’t really apply.  I didn’t fall into any of those categories. 

To be honest, I wasn’t very excited about taking a pill for the rest of my life.  I tried eating even healthier for a month and then redid the test. Numbers were still pretty high.  :( The doctor told me to start taking a pill and to see if that would work. Well, I ended up having very bad side effects (including a racing heart which really scared me!).  So, I stopped taking that pill and wondered what my other options were.  I really didn’t want to have to take another pill, if I didn’t have to. (I totally understand that there are times where you need to take medicine and I’m fine with that!)

I started looking into even healthier forms of eating and making complete changes in the way we view food.  We switched to brown rice, started cutting out almost all packaged and highly processed foods, completely cut out refined sugars (I only use honey as a natural sweetener now), and the most recent change has been to cut out refined flour and we switched to whole grain, whole wheat flour (I now grind our own flour).  

After consciously looking at all of our food and what the ingredients are, I’m surprised at how many changes we have made—when we already ate “healthy”.  In packaged and processed foods, when you look at the list of ingredients, you will be surprised (and even appalled) at all the stuff that is hidden in there!

Well, I wanted to do a test for myself and see if these changes were helping at all. I first started the changes with the hopes of being a healthier family and of lowering my cholesterol.

On Friday morning I went to the local clinic here. It was kinda painful b/c it didn’t open until 9:00am and I had to fast until then!  But I ended up getting a quick and cheap! (only $12!) blood test.  I got the results back that evening and I was S-U-R-P-R-I-S-E-D.

Only 3 months ago my total cholesterol was 198. It has sense dropped 20 points or 10%!

And the triglycerides—I must say that I am pleased!  3 months ago the number was 382 (a good number is less than 160).  Now the number was 198. It dropped 148 points or 48%. WOW!

Ok, so I know that I still have a ways to go, but come on! The changes are great!  I just have to keep it up now! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sonya! I want to start going healthier with my family, too, but feel a little overwhelmed about where to start. I don't have a grinder, but I do have a large food processor. Any suggestions? Was it the white flour and sugar that were the main cause of trouble with the triglycerides?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley! Cutting out white flour and refined sugars made the biggest difference for us! But that also included packaged products (b/c they usually contain LOTS of both!). I don't have a food processor, nor do I know what to do with one, so I can't help there! haha! This is a GREAT website to check out with lots of info and recipes: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/ Good luck! --Sonia

    ReplyDelete