Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I'm AMAZED!!

 I learned something new and exciting this morning!! Ok, so it probably isn't totally "new", but it is new to me!

First of all, how long have we lived over seas? Over 5 years.  And all of that time we have missed grits.  This is one thing that we often ask teams to bring down to us or we stock up on it when we are in the states.  Actually, our favorite kind of grits isn't the instant, it is the freshly ground kind from a mill in the North Georgia Mountains.  I have to admit though, we ran out of the good kind of grits a few months ago.  We've been eating the instant kind (that was brought down to us), but our supply of that is dangerously low.   We've never found grits anywhere in Peru. It's not one of those items that you can get if you actually want to pay the price for it; it's just not here.
 Well, that's what I thought!!

Then, this past Mother's Day the boys got me a hand grinder for grains.  I was excited, and it was something that I had actually wanted!

Then, I suddenly had this bright idea!! Hey, do you think we can make grits???? What are grits anyway?  I looked it up online and found "grits are coarsely ground white corn." 

Hmm...we can buy white corn here.  Now, I have a grinder.  Hey--let's try to MAKE OUR OWN GRITS!!

What a bright idea!! Here's the process. First, we bought the corn at the market this morning.  Then, we dumped some in the grinder. You can see that my littlest one had fun with this part!

Out came the ground up corn--or grits!!! John then sifted it to separate the fine powder (now I have white corn flour too) from the coarse parts.

We then cooked the grits just like we do the ones we buy from the mill-- clean them first; boil in water; add salt, pepper and butter; then add cheese (if desired).

Yummy G-R-I-T-S! I know what is for breakfast tomorrow.   Now, if only I would have realized this important discovery a few years earlier...

No comments:

Post a Comment