Monday, October 17, 2011

Baking...

I have to confess. I love to bake.  I mean, I really LOVE to bake!! Cookies, cakes, breads, all sorts of stuff!! And it isn't that I just love to eat it all; I just like to make it all.  When I was pregnant with my oldest son, I didn't have too many cravings.  What I craved was baking something!  We ALWAYS had baked goods at our house. I shared most of the stuff with friends and our house helper at the time was more than happy to help eat some of it during her morning break.

I've recently been on the quest for healthier options that I can make. I still want to make something. I just don't want to have all unhealthy stuff around the house. 

There are a few recipes that I've found and have been making for a few weeks.  Today was our (mine and my 3 year old's) baking day while brother was at school.

We did 2 loaves of whole wheat bread--to be honest, I'm still looking for an AWESOME whole wheat bread (no white flour mixed in) that works great at over 10,000 feet.  Any ideas?   Please help!!!

Then we did some homemade granola (last time they came out more as bars; this time I had more "chunks"), sticky balls, pecan pie larabars (recipe posted in previous post), and a new recipe--Fruit & Nut Crisps.

If you'd like to try some of these homemade goodies, here ya go. I got all of the recipes from other sites, and I just tweaked them a little (mostly to the ingredients that I could actually find here).

 
Granola or Granola Bars
I use the recipe from  100daysofRealFood and I just tweak it to the ingredients we like to have it in:
Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 cups rolled oats (if you want bars use steel cut oats so it will stick together better)
  • 1 cup raw chopped almonds
  • ½ cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup raw hulled sesame seeds (optional)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • Granola "chunks"
  • Also need – parchment paper
Directions
  1. Place an oven rack in the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 250 degrees. Line a large rimmed rectangular baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Place the oats, almonds, cashews, coconut, seeds and spices in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine.
  3. Heat the butter and honey together in a small saucepan over low heat until the butter melts. Stir in sea salt and vanilla. Remove from the heat.
  4. Pour the hot liquids over the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until the dry ingredients are evenly moist. Turn the granola onto the prepared pan and press firmly with a spatula to create an even layer, about 1/2 inch thick. Bake until the granola is firm to the touch and a deep golden brown, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. (The granola will become crisper as it cools.) Cool completely in the pan, then lift an edge of parchment and break the granola into pieces (if making bars) or break it up into small chunks by pounding it in a zip lock bag (if making cereal). Store in plastic bags or air tight container at room temperature. The granola will keep at the height of its texture and flavor for 2 weeks. Serve with dried or fresh fruit and milk or yogurt, or eat out of hand.
Makes about 3 pounds


Sticky balls

Sticky Balls—(affectionately named by my 3 year old b/c they are sticky when he helps me make them!)
1 cup oatmeal
½ cup peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
½ cup coconut flakes
½ cup chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix everything in a medium bowl until well blended and there are no remaining dry spots.  Let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.  Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy!

The Fruit & Nut Crisps will come after I finish the 2nd part of making them!

No comments:

Post a Comment