Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chocolate Cake


Living in the Andes Mountains of Peru, you can’t always find the conveniences that are available in the US.  (McDonald’s is hours away!)  Boxed foods and cans, if available, are rather expensive. It’s cheap and easy to find fresh fruits, veggies, and meats.  The only thing is that you have to make most things from scratch!

Good thing that I have always enjoyed cooking. Baking is usually my favorite, but I’ve been trying to eat healthier lately, which means no more baking, right?

Well, I just found a new recipe. I love new recipes, don’t you! It’s always fun to try something new! The picture looked so good, but I have to admit, the ingredients sounded a little different. I’m talking about Grain-free-brownies. Well, it’s actually more like Chocolate cake, and so that is what I’ll call it—Grain free Chocolate Cake. 

Ok, so what are they made out of then?  I don’t think you’ll ever guess!

Black beans!! Yes, that’s right! They look yummy and taste yummy too! And to be honest, most brownie recipes don’t come out very well living at high altitude. We used to live at 13,000 feet above sea level. Now, we live at what feels much lower to us, a mere 10,100 feet above sea level.  I’ve tried MANY brownie recipes, and usually they just boil. They never set. I’ve been so desperate to eat brownies and chocolate that I would just eat the fudgy goo while John just sat by laughing and telling me how gross it was.
 
Well, I tried this new recipe recently and had success!! Grain free Chocolate Cake (gluten-free).  I shared it with several friends and it seemed to be a hit!

Here's the recipe: http://www.naturallyknockedup.com/healthy-grain-free-brownies/

In the picture you'll see that it was a hit with Jacob!

No comments:

Post a Comment